12 Qualities of Successful People – #2 Selfcare
In today’s uncertain and rushed world, being healthy and feeling great is more important than ever. And what ensures health and vitality is good self-care – one of the most important qualities shared by successful people.
Self-care refers to the many things we can do for ourselves to improve our own physical, emotional and mental health.
These include, for example, getting enough sleep, eating well and exercising in a way you really enjoy. Emotional and mental health can be improved through things like quality time with the people you love, meaningful hobbies, asking for help, journaling and taking time for personal reflection and self-improvement.
Self-care activities are critical to our physical and mental health and emotional well-being, and therefore to our success in all areas of life. In fact, some experts suggest it is the most important quality of successful people and that it should be your number one priority if you want to be successful.
“The best project you can ever work on, is you.” Unknown
Unfortunately, we often forget to take care of ourselves because we are so busy with our other responsibilities. However, self-care is especially important during times of stress and challenge!
When you take care of yourself, you make sure you are the best you can be, and instead of being emotionally exhausted or physically drained, you have energy and enthusiasm for every aspect of your life. Self-care also boosts your immune system and energy levels and improves confidence, self-esteem, performance and productivity.
You can incorporate self-care – and its many benefits – into your life by starting with the basics.
- Schedule your self-care time – self-care is a priority, so plan and schedule enough time for regular self-care, and commit to it
- Get enough quality sleep – the quality of your sleeping has a great effect on how you feel both physically and emotionally
- Take time to make and enjoy healthy food – healthy food not only prevents lifestyle diseases but also contributes to good mental health
- Enjoy fun and invigorating exercise – regular exercise is good for body and mind, keeping you fit and at a healthy weight, while also reducing stress and anxiety, and improving your mood
- Make time to relax – whether to meditate, garden, take a hot bath, watch a movie or socialise
- Start something you love – take up a hobby, sign up for an online course or learn a new skill
As you start to incorporate more self-care into your life, look for inspiring resources to keep you motivated, such as this video of Oprah Winfrey speaking at Stanford Graduate School of Business about the importance of taking care of yourself. You will also find many books and videos on self-care with fresh ideas of how to take care of yourself.
The more self-care you can fit into your schedule and the more you can cultivate the quality of self-care in your everyday life, the more success you can look forward to.