The CompTIA Security + course will build on your knowledge and professional experience with computer hardware, operating systems, and networks as you’ll acquire the specific skills required to implement basic security services on any type of computer network. You will implement and monitor security on networks, applications, and operating systems, and respond to security breaches.
This course is targeted toward an Information Technology (IT) professional who has networking and administrative skills in Windows-based TCP/IP networks and familiarity with other operating systems, such as OS X, Unix, or Linux, and who wants to further a career in IT by acquiring a foundational knowledge of security topics; prepare for the CompTIA Security+ Certification examination; or use Security+ as the foundation for advanced security certifications or career roles.
What you will learn
During the CompTIA S+ distance learning course you will learn:
- Security Fundamentals
- Security threats
- Hardening Internal Systems and Services
- Securing Web Applications
- Hardening Internetwork Devices and Services
- Managing Certificates
- Securing Network Communications
- Managing Security Incidents
- Managing Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- Monitoring Security Infrastructure
- Enforcing Organizational Security Policies
On-line Instructor lectures
Via the web (internet access is required) this course provides a comprehensive and effective learning solution that engages students with on-line lectures, white board discussions, industry expert demonstrations and hands-on lab simulations. Our complex and industry-leading labs simulate a R250 000 hardware, software, and networking laboratory. You will learn how to configure hardware, install drivers, manage operating system settings, and configure network devices, all within your browser.
Section quizzes reinforce your learning, while certification practice exams give you a realistic exam preparation experience. Know when you’re ready to take your IT certification exams using the course progress and achievement reports.
Entry Requirements and Course duration
Students taking this course should have academic training with a CompTIA A+ and N+ certification.
|Course Name||Course Code||Price before bursary||Price after bursary*||Payment plan option available||Once off payment price|
|CompTIA S+||Course Code: CMT13O||R8,333||R5,000*||R625 over 8 months||R4,000|
|Study period: up to 12 months Registration fee: R1,000|
*Prospective students need to contact Academy of York to determine if they qualify for a bursary
To take this course you will need following hardware,
- 1 GHz or greater processor.
- 1 gigabytes (GB) of Random Access Memory (RAM) or greater.
- 60 gigabyte (GB) hard disk or larger.
- Super VGA (SVGA) or higher resolution monitor capable of a screen resolution of at least 800 x 600 pixels, at least 256 colour display, and a video adapter with at least 4 MB of memory.
- Bootable DVD_ROM drive or DVD writer drive.
- Mouse or compatible tracking device.
- Network adapter and cabling connecting each classroom computer
- Network interface card and network cabling.
- IP addresses that do not conflict with other portions of your network.
- Internet connectivity
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition, with sufficient licenses.
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser version 2.1 (MBSASetup-x86-EN.msi), available from http://technet.microsoft. com/en-us/security/cc184923.aspx You will need to download this tool from a valid copy of Microsoft Windows.
- The Microsoft Network Monitor 3.1 available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.
- The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830), available from http://www.microsoft.com/ downloads/details
Security Update Windows 6.0 KB951746,available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads
CompTIA Assessment and Award
Once you have successfully completed and passed your assignments you will be ready to write the exam. On successful completion of your external exams you will receive the internationally recognised CompTIA S+ Certificate.
The CompTIA S+ Course is externally examined at Prometric Testing Centres. You will need to contact your nearest testing Centre two weeks in advance, before writing the external exams. Please note that your exam fees are not included in your tuition fee. You can book your exam online at http://www7.pearsonvue.com/
The Academy of York is accredited by FASSET SETA, HWSETA, SABPP, PMSA, CompTIA and the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB), and is provisionally registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training as a Private College.
This course is accredited by CompTIA.