The CompTIA Security + course will build on your knowledge and professional experience with computer hardware, operating systems, and networks as you’ll acquire the specific skills required to implement basic security services on any type of computer network. You will implement and monitor security on networks, applications, and operating systems, and respond to security breaches.
This course is targeted toward an Information Technology (IT) professional who has networking and administrative skills in Windows-based TCP/IP networks and familiarity with other operating systems, such as OS X, Unix, or Linux, and who wants to further a career in IT by acquiring a foundational knowledge of security topics; prepare for the CompTIA Security+ Certification examination; or use Security+ as the foundation for advanced security certifications or career roles.
- Security Fundamentals
- Security threats
- Hardening Internal Systems and Services
- Securing Web Applications
- Hardening Internetwork Devices and Services
- Managing Certificates
- Securing Network Communications
- Managing Security Incidents
- Managing Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- Monitoring Security Infrastructure
- Enforcing Organizational Security Policies
Students taking this course should have academic training with a CompTIA A+ and N+ certification
Study period: up to 6 months
To take this course you will need following hardware,
- 1 GHz or greater processor.
- 1 gigabytes (GB) of Random Access Memory (RAM) or greater.
- 60 gigabyte (GB) hard disk or larger.
- Super VGA (SVGA) or higher resolution monitor capable of a screen resolution of at least 800 x 600 pixels, at least 256 colour display, and a video adapter with at least 4 MB of memory.
- Bootable DVD_ROM drive or DVD writer drive.
- Mouse or compatible tracking device
- Network adapter and cabling connecting each classroom computer
- Network interface card and network cabling.
- IP addresses that do not conflict with other portions of your network
- Internet connectivity is optional
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition, with sufficient licenses.
- Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser version 2.1 (MBSASetup-x86-EN.msi), available from http://technet.microsoft. com/en-us/security/cc184923.aspx. You will need to download this tool from a valid copy of Microsoft Windows.
- The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830), available from http://www.microsoft.com/ downloads/details
- The Microsoft Network Monitor 3.1 available from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.
- Security Update Windows 6.0 KB951746,available from http://
CompTIA Assessment and Certification
Once you have successfully completed and passed your assignments you will be ready to write the exam. On successful completion of your external exams you will receive the internationally recognised CompTIA S+ Certificate.
The CompTIA S+ Course is externally examined at Prometric Testing Centres. You will need to contact your nearest testing Centre two weeks in advance, before writing the external exams. Please note that your exam fees are not included in your tuition fee. You can book your exam online at http://www7.pearsonvue.com/
Academy of York is accredited by FASSET SETA, SAIOSH, HWSETA, SABPP, PMSA, CompTIA, COMENSA and the Institute of Certified Bookkeepers (ICB), and is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training as a Private College.
This course is accredited by CompTIA.
|Course Name: CompTIA S+(CMT03S)|
|Price Before bursary||R10,000|
|Price after bursary||R6,000*|
|Once off payment price||R5,400|
|Payment Plan||R500 over 12 months|
|Study period: 6 months||Registration fee: R600|
|Course Name: CompTIA A+, N+, S+|
|Price Before bursary||R26,667|
|Price after bursary||R16,000*|
|Once off payment price||R14,500|
|Payment Plan||R800 over 20 months|
|Study period: 18 months||Registration fee: R1,500|
*Prospective students need to contact Academy of York to determine if they qualify for a bursary